Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Always an adventure...


I've officially made it to Uganda!
Planes, trains, automobiles and a day later than planned, I am happy to say that I'm here and all is well.
The journey started off a bit rocky trying to depart from Atlanta EARLY Saturday morning, when my checked baggage was over the weight limit and they wanted to charge me $400 in fees for the overage. I kindly pleaded, trying to explain that all 119 pounds were donations (as I had all of my personal belongings strapped to my back as a carry-on) and the United reps did not budge! I moved away to repack and redistribute the weight but ultimately they would not let me check the bags in time and bumped me from my original flight and told me I would be rebooked for the next day - all of this occurring by 5am with no sleep and already facing a 23 hour travel journey. Needless to say I was shocked and immediately had a break down at the ticket counter, exhausted and devastated that things were unfolding this way and my much anticipated/planned trip was being delayed. 
(If you know me, tears don't come so easily, especially in public so mix sleep deprivation and intense airport chaos and cruelty and you've got one mess of a girl! #winning)
A kind lady stepped in and attempted to help by booking me on a Delta flight to Washington D.C. that had me arriving only 35 minutes prior to my Ethiopian flights departure, also where I was supposed to meet and rally with my team but it was worth a shot at that point to take my chances?! Low and behold, the Delta flight was delayed due to a "mechanical delay" (wonderful news!) and we were late arriving to D.C. - I along with a nice man en route to Cameroon via Ethiopoa, who had a similar situation in ATL ran to the gate to make the flight and we missed it by less than 5 minutes and watched the plane pull away. For the ultimate win, it was of course the ONLY flight for the day to Ethiopia, from D.C.
Once again, it was a tough blow and I just felt defeated and left behind because I wasn't a part of the team... Ultimately I was reminded that it was not up to me and to trust in Gods timing and plan. 
After spending Saturday afternoon catching up on sleep in D.C at an airport hotel, I headed back to the airport early Sunday morning to ensure that I would not miss another flight!
Waiting to board, I met the nicest couple Lois and Jim from Maryland, who were en route to Ethiopia to pick up their baby boy and bring him home Thanksgiving day. They were one of four couples traveling together to pick up and bring home their kids, after legally adopting them in October after three long years of enduring the adoption journey. Meeting them and hearing their story assured me that I was meant to cross their path, even if it meant arriving to Africa a day later than planned.


Thank you all for the love, support, prayers and encouragement as I've prepared, traveled and arrived.
I am truly so grateful and look forward to sharing more in the coming days!

A few quick photos of our view from the compound / guesthouse in Kampala for a visual :)






Xo,
Mandy

No comments: