Friday, September 20, 2013

Reviving ... journey with me

Revisiting the blog after almost, oh let's see ... 3 years?!

I thought this would be the best way for me to stay in touch & share my journey over the coming weeks as I make my way back to Africa.

Kisumu, Kenya is the destination and after almost 4 years since my journey to Arusha, Tanzania I am beyond excited to be going back.

This time I will be joined by two friends Cassi & Vince (one old / one new) who introduced this volunteer opportunity to me several months ago. We will be visiting missionaries Sarah & Chris Nicholson who are from their home church, here in Atlanta. 
(interested in Sarah & Chris' journey -check out Facebook  or Blog )

Ringroad Ministries is one of the organizations in Kisumu that we will be serving with in the heart of a slum kwown as Nyalenda, which encompass a clinic, a voluntary counseling and testing center for HIV (VCT), an orphans day school, and Ring road Church of Christ.
"78% of Kisumu is under the age of 30, and 70% of the population live in the slums.  It has the highest incidence of food poverty in the country.  Only 35% of Kisumu has piped water.  Approximately 20% of the population is infected with AIDS, resulting in a staggering 70,000 children orphaned to AIDS alone."

I personally am looking forward to spending time within this community to learn their stories, experience their way of life, love on some precious babies and kiddos and to experience again the beauty and blessing of Africa. 

I know that God has so many things in store for this upcoming trip and my only hope is to fully embrace this opportunity & to experience each step with an open heart and mind. 

Journey with me...  Date of Departure ~ September 27th, 2013 

xo
Mandy



No comments: