Thursday, October 8, 2009

Better late than never...

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
Eleanor Roosevelt

So my desire to keep up with the blogging world around me has gotten off to a slow start, but nonetheless I am back and look forward to sharing my journey with you. I left New York City two months ago (August 7th to be exact), after three (combined four) wonderful years of adventure on many levels. The timing was necessary but the transition back home to Georgia has been bittersweet, as I am grateful to be near my family and old friends, yet sad to be away from amazing friends and new family who helped me grow and survive my days in NYC.

One of my reasons for moving on from New York life was to pursue my dream of traveling the world, in particular going to Africa for a mission opportunity of some kind. I feel a true passion within my heart to go to this foreign land, and give my time and perhaps my heart to people who need it most. To many people this is an exciting and adventurous dream, but to many it is a scary and unimaginable notion that I would want to put myself in such a vulnerable position. I am grateful for the love that has been shown to me throughout the years, through the joys and hardships I've experienced and that is why I am so passionate about spreading this love and hope to people, children in particular in such need. That being said, I am making plans to go to Arusha, Tanzania and volunteer with the LOHADA organization. I was introduced to this amazing organization through takesawholevillage.blogspot.com (and friends of friends) and look forward to meeting these courageous and inspiring people and working alongside them. I am so thankful for the people who have inspired me to step out and take a chance and have shared their own mission experiences with me and I so look forward to continuing to share my journey with all of you in the weeks and months ahead.
If things work out faster than expected, I hope to be leaving for Tanzania in the next two weeks (by October 22nd hopefully) and returning in late November. I have planned to serve a month with LOHADA and hope to return to Africa in the future as well. I am anxiously looking forward to being home for the arrival of my baby nephew "Lowry" bean, so we'll have to trust in God's timing. Otherwise, I plan to stay close to home with my family until late December/early January and then begin my journey to Africa.


Thank you for your support through love, inspiration and prayers and in helping me following my dreams.
Xo,
Mandy

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3: 5-6

3 comments:

Carol said...

I love you! You are an inspiration to me. You have more courage than people twice your age.I wish you all the best that life has to offer.Let have lunch before Africa

With love,
Aunt Carol

shea said...

This post brought a tear to my eye. I am SO proud of you. You will love the mission. I have done a few in the past. They were mostly local, but I did spend time in Honduras and I will never forget my time there. I am excited to hear about your adventures and the way God is working through you and how you spread your loving soul with others.
Peace be with you!

Sam said...

Mando, I had no idea but am so excited for you! Clearly I need a catch up session with you. Sounds like a great plan! xoxo Sam