Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ring Road

Girls from Standard 4 - sweet Terri is on the left!

Lunch time at school
Kids being kids

Day School courtyard

Cassi  & our new friend Jemilla- she has been sick with malaria and was released from Russia hospital yesterday -
back at school today

Clinic & Counseling center


The compound we are staying at - There is a cement wall around the property and a metal gate at the entrance.
A guard is on duty 24 hours and opens the gate for us to come & go.



Today was another full day in Kisumu! My body clock has not fully adjusted to the seven hour time difference & travel, So my sleep time is a little sporadic to say the least. We spent time at RingRoad again today and I enjoyed sitting in the classroom with the Standard 2 kids - they were practicing their English and completing sentences with Bible knowledge and I was so impressed with how bright they are. These kids are all so eager to learn and be a part of something greater. 
My sweet friend Terri wrote me a letter today, that expressed her love of school & learning and that she dreams of becoming a pilot when she grows up.

I also had the chance to walk in the slum beside the school today as well with Chris. I had inquired about two babies I read about on their blog, so he took me to meet them in person. They are twin babies, a boy and a girl that Chris & Sarah met several months back. Their grandmother is the primary caretaker, as both the mother and father are mentally handicapped. I met the mama today, and she is trying so hard to care for them as best as she can. She was working very hard on cleaning and doing laundry, while the babies toddled and crawled around outside their home. I will tell you it was a heartbreaking experience in every way, both for the humanity in seeing a mother with nothing at all trying her very best to care for her children and also at the conditions these vulnerable young babies are living in.

Thank you for following along with the journey - my heart and eyes are full with so many experiences already!

xo,
Mandy


3 comments:

Emily said...

thinking of you sweet girl! just got home from small group and have you on my mind.

Unknown said...

Mandy, I know you are such an encouragement and a LIGHT to all you come in contact with! Thank you for sharing and keeping us posted. LOVE YOU! Wishing I could be there to walk beside you.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you daily! Makes you grateful for little blessings here when you see sweet children living like that, doesn't it? And yet, even with nothing, they have so much joy! We should all be learning from them. Xoxo