Friday, October 4, 2013

TOMS & other things

Obama the man - Cannot get enough of him! This is his school book!

TOMS shoe fitting with Terry 



TOMS shoe fitting - Amazing to see this in action & the excitement on the kids faces
Fabish & Alex - awesome helpers, along with Cassi & Chris Nicholson 
#TOMS
Tuk Tuk - this is our daily transportation 
A quick update and a few photos to share! Today was another great day! We started out at the school and to my surprise a TOMS shoe representative selected RingRoad kids to become a part of their program. I've followed this organization for a couple of years and I am proud to see it in action - for all of you TOMS fans, all 390 students will receive a pair of shoes this coming week once we complete the sizing AND once they are enrolled in the program, they will receive a new pair EVERY year until they are 18.
Cassi and I had the pleasure of sizing the kids and the look of excitement on their faces was pure joy!

I also had some quality time with my little Obama man - this kid is getting brighter and brighter each day! He had been to class & had completed a few assignments and was excited to show me his school book. We practiced writing his name and working on colors again today.

After lunch I took a solo trip back to Russia Hospital to visit two of the girls I met on Wednesday. I simply could not get them out of my mind, so I gathered a stack of storybooks, got a TukTuk from a trusty driver and off I went. It was a blessing all around and I am so thankful I followed my gut and went back. I went to the Obama Children's Ward first to check in on Melvine, who was undergoing a blood transfusion the day before. She looked a lot better, was sitting up and attempting to eat a little bit. She loves storybooks, so I was most excited to share the animal themed books I was able to bring along. A few other kids in her ward toddled over and we all piled on Melvine's bed and I spent an hour reading aloud and letting them each pick a book to keep afterwards. This sweet girl is so bright and kind and I hope to have the opportunity to see her again before I leave Kisumu.
I then made my way back to the Cancer Ward and was greeted by the three cute boys from the day before - armed with the coloring books we left behind, they each had completed the ENTIRE book in one day. They were so excited to show me what they had done and it was so touching to see how much they enjoyed something so simple and common to us at home, yet a luxury for these sweet African kids. They lead me into their room, where all four of the kids beds and mama's were - Valery, the girl I spent time with the day before was recovering from her chemo treatment. She also had worked so hard on her coloring book as well!

Have to run, Internet is spotty and want to share the highlights!

Xo,
mandy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your heart, Mandy! God bless your days there in Kisumu! I think God might just have plans for you...just sayin'!