Saturday, November 7, 2009

Realities of Africa....

“The world is round, and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning.” —Ivy Baker

Hello everyone! Winding down from my second official week, hard to believe I've been in Africa now for 17 days! Things are still going well, I am really enjoying my time at LOHADA, especially with the cute kids from Camp Moses. They truly brighten my day and just seeing their sweet smiles makes me glad to have come. I've struggled this week with feeling that I am not doing enough for these people and this place and I have questioned whether I am making an impact in some way. I'm learning a lot more about the stories and lives of the children I am working with and that has truly opened my eyes. Many of them were simply "sold" because their parents or family member didn't have enough money to care for them... sweet little Esther's mother was shot and killed in front of her as a little baby and she's just 3 years old. Two little sisters were taken from their home because their father abandoned them and their mother's new husband did not want them, so he boiled oil and poured it on them... These are merely a few scenarios of the unimaginable circumstances and heartbreak that is the reality of so many of these kids.
Thank you for the encouragement and support as it truly does make a difference when Africa seems to get you down... It is hard to see people in such dire need of help, especially precious, innocent children who were born into these circumstances. I know that change comes in time and even if I leave here without physically seeing that change, perhaps I have helped plant the seed.
Love to you all and I will update you soon!
xoxo,
Mandy

No comments: